POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Any thoughts on this... : Re: Any thoughts on this... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any thoughts on this...
From: Darren New
Date: 22 May 2008 23:48:03
Message: <48363e73@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Well. Yeah, I figure this is the case, but I also figured that complex
> objects "might" be a bit more complicated than testing a bounding box
> around them.

I'm not sure you followed my description.

The client looks at the click, and decides which facet of which prim was
drawn where you clicked. The server isn't involved yet.

The client then sends to the server the fact that you clicked at a
particular point on a particular triangle in a particular mesh on a
particular prim. The server merely needs to verify that the normal of
that triangle points towards the avatar and isn't blocked by something
else.

I.e., it makes the hard part ("what did I hit where") run on the client,
and the server only has to verify that (say) all three corners of the
triangle are in view of the camera. The actual mouse position relative
to the screen, for example, never needs to go to the server.

> As for your game.. Not sure that would have helped much.

My game doesn't have movable pieces. It has poke-able places. I.e., more
like tic-tac-toe than chess.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"